Monday 9 March 2015

Monday morning amazingness on the Signal Hill

Today, my dear readers, is an exceptionally beautiful day in St. John's. The sun is shining from a blue sky, there is no wind at all, and it's nicely crispy with -6 C. The time had finally come for me to hike around the Signal Hill!

The Signal Hill is the landmark of St. John's and overlooks the entry to the city's harbour, The Narrows. It's a notoriously windy place and every attempt to walk there longer than 30 minutes has been so far doomed by the wind or bad visibility. Not today!

I started walking around George's Pond towards Cuckold Cove and was happily surprised by the nice condition of the trail. I had not brought my snowshoes this time, but had my poles and my traction cleats, which have proven to be essential in this city.

Here is a small photo diary of my hike. I should mention that the Northhead trail, where I walked much of the way, is closed until 30 April, so don't tell anyone I was there! 😉

For those of you who know the area, my route was: George's Pond, Ladies' lookout, Cabot Tower, Northhead trail to The Battery, Battery to Signal Hill climb and then scrambling in the snow to the Visitor Centre. 2 hours of sun, snow and happy thoughts!

The Atlantic is gathering quite some ice around here

View towards Cuckold Cove


On the Northhead trail towards the Battery


Canadian navy leaving town with the whole crew waving onboard



At the Battery


Upwards on somebody's backyard

The last steps before the scrambling in the snow began



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear your thoughts on our Canadian adventures!